Supported Living Services
Our supported living services program assists individuals in establishing a foundation of independence and stability. We believe in the ability of each individual to live in the home of his or her choice. Our services are flexible and reflect the unique needs, living arrangements, cultural background, community access, and life experiences of each individual. Our team provides 24 hour on-call support to coordinate health and safety services, and can provides expedient assessments and support plans. We provide uniquely designed supports, including 24 hour on call services, enabling individuals to establish a foundation of independence, security and stability. The goal of our program is to meet the service needs and provide one to one individual assistance and training to encourage independence at the highest possible level.
Our Supported Living Services program assists individuals in establishing a foundation of stability within their independent living arrangements. We enhance the ability of each individual to live in the home of his or her choice. Our supports are flexible and reflect the unique needs, living arrangements, cultural backgrounds, community access, and life experiences of each individual. Our team provides 24 hour on-call support to coordinate health and safety services. The goal of our program is to meet the service needs and provide one-on-one individual assistance and training to encourage independence at the highest possible level. We provide supports in an unrestrictive manner to promote the personal goals selected by the individual without jeopardizing his or her health and safety in the community.
- Establish a trusting and caring relationship between each individual and his or her circle of support.
- Provide each individual with the ability to independently manage medical needs and while using self-advocacy skills
- Promote a safe, clean, and pleasant living environment for each individual in his or her independent home
- Enhance each individual's emergency preparedness skills
- Provide each individual with knowledge daily living skills ensuring health and safety specific to each individual
- Medical advocacy ensuring positive communication between individuals, their circle of support, and medical professionals regarding preventative care, medication changes, medical procedures, and medical recommendations.
- Identification of generic medical resources through our extended network to provide the appropriate care and medical support.
- 24-hour pharmacy access ensuring that each individual receives the proper medication in a timely manner.
- Assistance with social and behavioral skills to enhance community integration for each individual.
- Development of daily living activities including homecare management skills, clothing care, meal preparation skills, grocery shopping skills, and comparison shopping skills in order to promote independence.
- 24-Hour on call support network readily available to resolve crisis situations.
- Trained staff in assistive technology and adaptive equipment for those individuals who may have verbal and/or mobility challenges.
- Assistance with exploring day programs, vocational opportunities, or education and continued support throughout the application process and thereafter.
- Training in community safety and mobility through hands-on practice in natural settings.
- Assistance in money management to ensure that rent, utilities, bills, and necessary expenses are paid on time.
- Encouragement in maintaining personal hygiene and training on completing all tasks independently on a daily basis.
- Support in developing safe relationships with the individual’s circle of support and members of the community through example of appropriate behaviors with friends, co-workers, and/or strangers.
- Advice and guidance on parenting related living skills to develop stronger familial relationships.
- Preparation for emergency situations by providing emergency contact lists, emergency guideline practices, and emergency bins with needed items in case of a disaster.
- Medical Advocacy - assist individuals to receive the best medical care possible. We support our individuals with understanding what medical professionals are saying, and help individuals voice any concerns he or she may have about their health. SLS ensures that lab work, medical procedures, and/or medication changes, are needed and are in the best interest of the individual.
- Identification of Generic Medical Resources - SLS has a strong medical network that benefit individuals in order to live a healthy lifestyle. We utilize and identify generic medical resources that offer the best medical care at little to no cost to individuals. We understand that the individual may be on a financial budget and therefore we make every effort to find all resources available to the consumer so that his/her health does not suffer.
- 24-Hour Pharmacy Needs - provide a 24-Hour on-call support network that consists of the Program Director, Assistant Program Director, Program Assistant(s), and Program Field Supervisors. SLS identifies resources available to locate pharmacies that readily assist individuals after business hours, if needed. The SLS team ensures that the individual receives the proper medication and that the individual follows the regimen prescribed by the doctor.
- Health and Medical Assistance - support individuals with any and all medical needs. This includes scheduling medical appointments, scheduling follow-ups, and coordinating/ providing transportation. We also help the individual communicate with the medical support team, understand medical concerns, and assist with administering medication.
- Social/Behavior Skills - identify if the individual needs assistance with social and behavior challenges. With the help from the Behavioral Consultant, MDH-SLS will assist the individual to practice community interactions and improve on behavior challenges through every day activities. The goal is for the individual to successfully become integrated with his or her community.
- Daily Living Activities - support individuals to develop skills necessary to successfully live independently in the home of his/her choice. This may include homecare management skills, clothing care, meal preparation skills, grocery shopping skills, and comparison shopping skills. MDH-SLS identities where improvement is needed, and assists the consumer to learn how to independently complete tasks.
- Crisis Situations and Response Planning - provide a 24-Hour on-call support network that consists of the Program Director, Assistant Program Director, Program Assistant(s), and Program Field Supervisors. SLS identifies resources available to resolve crisis situations immediately. The individual and the circle of support has a list of applicable contacts readily available.
- Dietary and Nutritional Maintenance - assist the individual to maintain a healthy diet to benefit his/her overall health. We seek medical advice and provide the individual with healthy options within the given guidelines and while keeping the individual's budget in mind. If a special diet needs to be implemented due to health concerns, MDH-SLS supports the individual in consistently following the diet.
- Assistive Technology and Adaptive Equipment - makes sure that the SLS team is fully capable of assisting individuals with verbal and/or mobility struggles. MDH-SLS takes trainings in order to improve knowledge and experience with different types of technology and equipment. SLS will also offer the individual to try different methods that may benefit him/her and make his/her life safer.
- Location of Appropriate Residence - assist the individual to find a home that best fits his/her needs and wants, while keeping safety and finances in mind. MDH-SLS will create a checklist that may include guidelines that make sure the home is safe inside and out, is close to the circle of support, and is in a safe neighborhood. All choices and decisions will be made by the individual as to where they live and with whom, with the guidance of MDH-SLS.
- Vocational Skills/Habilitation - help individuals that are interested in vocational/employment or day programs locate and explore different options in order to find what best fits his/her needs. The SLS team helps the individual apply and complete required steps to participate. We also help the individual to successfully learn how to do the tasks a job or activity requires.
- Community Safety and Mobility Training - identity if the individual needs improvement on community safety awareness and mobility training. We help the individual develop skills by reviewing possible situations prior to going out in the community, and then practicing what is spoken about by actually going into the community and experiencing situations hands on. We also teach the individual local bus routes.
- Money Management - assist individuals to successfully budget their money and prioritize his/her expenses. We encourage the individual to feel responsible and be independent while making sure that the rent, utilities, bills, and other necessary purchases are paid on time. A weekly and monthly budget is created with the individual.
- Personal Hygiene - support and encourages individuals to maintain personal hygiene. This means making sure the individual is showered, is wearing clean clothing, is well-groomed, is brushing/flossing teeth as needed, etc. If the individual needs assistance with completing any hygiene tasks, SLS is available to assist and teach the individual how to complete the task independently.
- Interpersonal Skills - supports individuals in developing safe relationships with the circle of support and members of the community. The SLS team leads by example so that the individual may resemble appropriate behaviors with friends, co-workers, and/or strangers. Applicable training is offered to individuals who need additional assistance with relationship skills.
- Parenting Related Living Skills - assist individuals who have children develop stronger parenting skills. We offer advice when needed, and offer training so that individuals can become more informed. SLS ensures that the individual and his/her children are healthy and safe and that the individual is involved in the children’s activities.
- Emergency Preparedness - provide individuals with training on how to be prepared in the case of a natural disaster or emergency. Our individuals are provided with an emergency bin that contains items that may be helpful during an emergency. We complete quarterly trainings on how to use these items, and what to do if an evacuation is necessary.
Our staff are carefully screened and frequently trained on best practices for safely supporting our individuals. Our staff members are able to assist our individuals with behavioral and skill challenges with an emphasis on safe community integration. Each staff receives training in best practices with person-centered thinking, universal precautions, CPR/First-Aid, and Crisis Prevention Intervention.